Wednesday, July 18, 2012

David and Goliath - 1 Samuel 16:1 - 18:16

David and Goliath - 1 Samuel 16:1 - 18:16

Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

One of the very first things I do every morning is to reach for my glasses.  I've worn glasses since the 4th grade, and have had bifocals since the 5th grade.  They're the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off at night.  I don't know what it's like to have perfect vision... and very few people have ever seen me with my glasses off.

The world looks remarkably different when I put on my glasses.  They help me to see clearly and accurately... and keep me from stumbling around in the darkness.

The story of Samuel anointing David reminds us of a more important set of glasses that we must practice putting on every day--the glasses that help us to see things as God sees them.

When we practice seeing things as God sees them, we see the people behind the problems... we see the heart and not the appearance... and we become aware of the people that others might forget or leave behind.

The world looks remarkably different when you put those lenses on.  With God's help, you can see clearly and accurately... and not stumble around in the darkness.

Have you checked your vision lately?

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep on missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the brokenhearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach.
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

                                          - Brandon Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment